Hair Regrowth Therapy with ACell + PRP
What is PRP?
Platelet rich plasma (PRP), is essentially an increased concentration of autologous (meaning from the same organism - your own) platelets suspended in a small amount of plasma after centrifugation. Basically, patient’s blood is collected and centrifuged at varying speeds until it separates into 3 layers: platelet poor plasma (PPP), platelet rich plasma (PRP), and red blood cells. Usually 2 spins are used. After these spins, material with the highest specific gravity (PRP) will be deposited at the bottom of the tube.
This material (PRP), with its powerful regeneration properties is what is used in the ACell + PRP procedure.
What is ACell?
ACell’s MatriStem technology works at the cellular level to repair and remodel damaged tissues. ACell has a broad range of uses in surgical procedures, and is a naturally occurring matrix of proteins’ found in tissue layers.
When ACell is injected into a site in the body, it is resorbed, stimulating adult stem cells in the damaged tissues.
This process will regenerate dormant follicular tissues, thereby producing improved quality in hair growth.
What is ACell + PRP?
PRP is more effective and lasts longer when combined with ACell. There is a limit to what PRP alone can do long term.
The combination of ACell + PRP hair regrowth therapy provides a significantly longer-lasting solution for hair loss resulting in the need for only a once-a-year treatment regimen for most people. This is because ACell slows down the hair thinning process by providing the extracellular matrix (ECM) structure on which to continue building hair follicles.
How long has PRP therapy been around?
PRP was initially developed in the 1970s and first used in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. Since then doctors have used Platelet Rich Plasma therapy for a variety of situations including aid to bone healing after spinal injury and soft tissue recovery following plastic surgery. Platelet Rich Plasma treatments have also been used to reduce or eliminate pain and for the treatment of sports related injuries.
How does PRP work to regrow hair?
If your hair follicles or hair roots are healthy, the growth of the hair is healthy. Hair follicles survive on the nutrition they get from blood supply. If we introduce fresh platelets by administering platelet rich plasma (PRP) in the area of damaged hair follicles, it amplifies the body’s naturally occurring wound healing and growth mechanism.
PRP works by stimulating inactive hair follicles into an active growth phase. Platelets contain specific growth factors that when “activated” promote tissue regeneration and healing. These same growth factors may help hair grow or slow hair loss.
Who are good candidates for ACell + PRP?
- Men and women with thinning hair due to heredity
- Individuals who are concerned about reduced hair growth on their eyebrows
- Women with traction alopecia, hair thinning caused by too tight ponytails, braids, and other styles that pull the hair out
- PRP treatments work best on men and who have recently begun to lose hair
- People who want to improve the look and volume of their hair, but do not wish to have a hair transplant
- Patients who want to maintain their hair growth without turning to medications such as Propecia or Rogaine
Are there individual situations that will not benefit from ACell + PRP treatments?
In areas where the hair growth has stopped for more than 5 years, regrowth is no longer possible. ACell + PRP hair regrowth therapy can only affect hair follicles that are still active. The earlier we begin treatments, the more hair we can save and thicken.
For patients who are not candidates for ACell + PRP Dr. Rajagopal usually recommends a hair transplant.
How is PRP + ACell hair regrowth therapy performed?
There are exceptions to these guidelines and every patient is different, so the best thing to do is call the San Francisco Plastic Surgery and Laser Center for an appointment for a consultation to discover what’s best for you.
- Upon arrival at, San Francisco Plastic Surgery and Laser Center, you will have a small amount of your blood drawn. The blood is spun in a sterile centrifuge system, which separates the platelet-rich plasma from the rest of the blood.
- Your scalp is washed and a topical anesthesia is injected to the scalp to reduce any discomfort during the PRP treatment.
- Photos are taken on the treatment area.
- Special non-invasive techniques are used to prepare the scalp area
- The highly concentrated platelet rich plasma + ACell ‘cocktail’ is then injected into the scalp at the treatment area.
- After the injection, the microneedling technique is used to activate platelet growth factors
- Your hair will then be wiped down and you may return to your daily routine.
- Wait 48 hours to shower and wash your hair.
- Dr. Rajagopal or one of the medical staff here at San Francisco Plastic Surgery and Laser Center will provide you with the simple after care instruction.
- Since it is non-invasive, you will be able to drive yourself after the procedure.
- Although we normally recommend a total of 3 treatments scheduled 6 weeks apart, this will vary depending on your own severity of hair loss and the desired result.
- Dr. Rajagopal will talk to you about your personal treatment plan at your initial consultation.
What will recovery from PRP treatment be like?
No activity restrictions are required after a PRP treatment. Patients may shower, shampoo and condition their hair starting a few hours after their treatment and resume their normal daily activities and exercise as soon as they feel comfortable. Some brief mild inflammation appearing as redness/pinkness and numbness of the scalp may be present for several hours.
No harsh chemical coloring or perming treatments should be performed for at least 72 hours.
What will the results from my ACell + PRP treatment and how soon will they be visible?
You will start to notice results in about 4 to 8 months after your ACell + PRP procedure. This follows the normal hair growth cycle. With six to twelve months most patients will see remarkable improvement in volume and quality of their hair growth.
Hair continues to thicken the next 12 to 15 months. And results can last for months or at time even years.
During your consultation, Dr. Rajagopal will create a plan, including the ideal time for your treatments to keep your hair as full and luxurious as possible.
Is PRP treatment safe? What are the risks associated with PRP treatment for hair regrowth?
The side effects of PRP injections are limited and rare, as the patient is utilizing their own blood, which they should have no reaction to.
How long do the results from ACell + PRP treatment last?
On average, ACell + PRP results last for over a year after the initial series of treatments.
PRP Hair Regrowth Before and After Photos
Why choose Dr. Rajagopal and the San Francisco Plastic Surgery and Laser Center for your PRP hair regrowth therapy?
- Simple, non surgical procedure
- Multiple Injections: procedure lasting approximately 60 to 90 minutes
- Safe and reliable results
- Very quick recovery period
Performed by Dr. Rajagapal, PRP therapy for hair regrowth is safe and highly effective. Over the course of the months following treatment, your hair will grow fuller, denser, and thicker. Please give us a call here at San Francisco Plastic Surgery and Laser Center to schedule your ACell + PRP consultation.